Thursday, August 07, 2008

65: Reunion

“Yes,” I responded. “What’s so special about me?”

Telvana laughed. “That will have to wait. There are some things that cannot be explained without altering the future. You will learn in time.”

“Gods damnit, you know that’s not acceptable to me!” I raged.

“Yes.”

I fumed, but I could see there was no getting through to him. I closed my mind to his and pulled on a clean robe. The bile had washed off nicely, but the stink would remain until I could clean the robe properly. I finished and went to check on Artan. He was sitting at the main dining table eating an apple, and he looked at me questioningly.

“Hi.” I said.

“He-llo…” he said, strangely, as if he was readjusting to using his own lips. “Who is the man in the staff?”

I sighed. This wasn’t entirely unexpected, but still unwelcome. “Don’t worry about him. How are you feeling?”

“Alright. My head feels weird.”

“It’ll pass. Why don’t you go lie down.” I gently ordered him and he nodded. I guided him to a bed and he collapsed gratefully onto it. I left him there and exited the guild building. The Nerevarine must be around somewhere, and I needed to find him.

I emerged from the building to a procession of exhausted, battered soldiers. Many were wounded, but most had a smile of triumph on their faces. We had won.
I began searching through the soldiers for any sign of the Nerevarine, casting healing spells on all that I passed. Some of the soldiers grunted their thanks, but my mana could only go so far, and I didn’t want to attract a line of people asking for assistance. There were healers in the temple for that. Finally I found him.
The Nerevarine was surrounded by fully-armored commanders who were arguing and yelling at him. He was silent, and he calmly walked towards me. I stopped to let the group pass, but the Nerevarine signaled me to follow him. Without missing a step I was swept up in the group, and it seemed the only people not yelling were the Nerevarine and me. The group bustled hurriedly towards the command post at the top of the hill. The Nerevarine burst into the room and sat down at the massive desk occupying the center of the room. The commanders stood around the desk, arguing with each other about their next move, each one strategizing loudly to the others, banging on the desk to accentuate their points. Nerevar calmly unbuckled his left gauntlet and stretched his neck. He removed the heavy glove and threw it onto the desk with a thump. He briefly scratched his ear and then, silently, he raised his finger. The room was silent instantly. Moon-and-Star glowed brilliantly, and everyone’s eyes flicked from the ring to Nerevar’s ashen face.

“That will do.” He said. Then he pointed at the door. The commanders began to move out of the room, slowly and obediently. Something compelled me to stay. The door clicked shut after the last soldier had left the room and the commanders’ arguments were resumed outside.

“I am glad to see you have been reunited.” The Nerevarine spoke quietly, unbuckling the rest of his armor. “It would be a shame to lose Master Telvana permanently. May I?” He asked, stretching his hand towards me.

“Do it.” Thought Telvana.

I reluctantly laid the staff in Nerevar’s hands. I felt Telvana’s mind part with mine, though only partially. There was still a mental link that allowed me to communicate with them, both of them. I managed to get a glimpse at Nerevar’s mind. It was intensely complicated, and I was shook by the horrors he had seen. Luckily, he managed to shield himself from my intruding thoughts, and all I could hear was his communication with Telvana.

“Hello again, old friend.” Nerevar’s thoughts echoed slightly as they passed into my mind.

“Silence child,” spat the Dark One, “You are not Nerevar. You may be his incarnate, but that does not make you HIM.”

“Not all of us have the luxury of immortality, Indel. And this body may not be Nerevar, but this MIND is! By Azura’s grace I have been reborn, and I AM Nerevar.” The fury between the two danced viciously around my mind, and I was glad to be just a spectator.

“Nerevar died! And not just any death, he was killed by the very scimitar you hold at your side! Hopesfire and Trueflame do not simply kill, they tear a being’s soul apart. You know this! These blades are the only things in existence that can kill gods! You were destroyed. There is no other possibility.” Telvana sounded exasperated.

The Nerevarine became quiet. Then, “You know many things, Indel Telvana, but the machinations of the gods will forever escape your understanding. Do not let yourself be blinded by your own pride. By Azura’s Grace, I live. There is nothing else to say.” He paused for a moment. Telvana was silent. “Now, we have much work to do. The Daedra will be back, and Gnisis will no longer hold against them. We must evacuate to Red Mountain. In two days time, our forces will depart. Whats left of House Hlaalu are already there, soon the Redoran will join them. There we will stand against the tide of Daedra.” His thoughts shifted and were directed towards me, their echoed quality disappeared. “You however, will attempt something that has not been successfully done in ten years. Travel to Sadrith Mora, bring the Telvanni to Red Mountain, and reunite the Houses once again.” He said, smiling. His thoughts shifted and echoed again. “You’re going home again, Indel.”

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wouldn't Nerevar have an easier job of persuading the Telvanni to join the other Houses? Although I suppose the Telvanni have already begun to take him for granted...

Oh, but then again, I forgot that the Dark One is coming too...

-Noozooroo

August 08, 2008 7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude. I love you. After such a long time of updating you still do it. You're just a good author that I hope you can inspire others to write as well. I would like to apologize from before where I was a little jerkoff. I seriously thought you went the way of HIATUS, but you keep strong. I'm going to recommend this story on the forums I visit and on my fanfiction page.

And you too Noozooroo, I called you a dirty name sometime in the past either on this fic or on victorias. I apologize deeply.



Formerly, Poopsmith.

August 24, 2008 10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha wow look at that. Poopsmith posted on the chapter titled "Reunion" hahahahah. Ironic.

August 27, 2008 4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whats's Up i'm fresh on here, I stumbled upon this forum I have found It amply accommodating & it's helped me out so much. I should be able to contribute & assist other users like its helped me.

Thanks Everyone, See Ya Later.

June 05, 2010 8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya i am fresh to this, I came upon this chat board I have found It incredibly accommodating & it's helped me out alot. I hope to contribute & support other people like it has helped me.

Thank You, See Ya Later

June 13, 2010 1:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Day im fresh on here, I hit upon this message board I find It very accessible & its helped me out a lot. I hope to contribute and assist other users like its helped me.

Cheers all, Catch You Later.

June 15, 2010 4:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya i'm new on here. I came accross this board I find It truly accessible and its helped me out a lot. I should be able to give something back & help other people like it has helped me.

Cheers, See Ya Later

June 16, 2010 8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home