Sunday, April 30, 2006

11: Cheydinhal Mages Guild

When I awoke, I was lying on a soft bed. My body ached from the clawing I had received, but I felt as if I could move again. I pulled myself up onto my side and found myself looking straight into the face of an Argonian. She was asleep in the chair next to my bed, and I wondered if she had been put there to watch over me. She was wearing a very pretty blue dress that complemented the green of her scales quite nicely. She awoke with a start and looked at me.

“Ah, so the Breton awakes. Good afternoon, you had us rather worried there for a while.” She smiled in the rather frightening way that Argonians do. I cleared my throat and started to speak, but she shook her head and told me it would not be a good idea. “Whatever attacked you clawed you up pretty bad. I would think the wounds aren’t totally healed yet. We called in a healer from the temple, but they were busy with a messenger or something.”

“Who are you?” I managed to cough out the words and decided that the Argonian had been right about speaking. My chest felt like it was on fire.

“I am Deetsan. I dabble in spells and alchemy here at the guild. Yes, you are in the guild hall right now. We didn’t want to move you too far. Here, drink this potion, it will make things better while I go tell the other guild members.”

I drank from the bottle she gave me and my eyelids became extremely heavy. I smiled at nothing and fell back onto the bed.


When I awoke, I found myself surrounded by people. Apparently I had become the talk of the town! Apparently I looked a little overwhelmed, because Deetsan pushed some of them back and told them to give me some room. I spoke, but my chest did not burst into flames again.

“Who are you people?” A few of them chuckled, most of them smiled, but one High Elf near the back of the crowd scowled at me.

“We are the Cheydinhal Mages Guild. I think this is all of us anyway.” This came from a tall Redguard who looked as if he had only a few years left. He seemed jovial though, and magic has a way of prolonging one’s life. “I am Treyvond.” He then went around and introduced me to each of the guild members. When he had finished with the formalities, I noticed that the scowling High Elf had disappeared. I decided not to push them, because I had received such a warm welcome.

I spent the rest of the day healing myself with my own spells, and by dusk I was walking around very easily. I decided now would be as good a time as any to try and join the guild, so I approached Deetsan to ask for membership.

“Oh no, you aren’t looking for me. You want Falcar, he’s the chapter head of this guild hall. Be careful around him though, he didn’t really like having you brought in to be healed.” I thanked her and proceeded down the stairs looking for Falcar. I didn’t remember him from the introductions, but I knew exactly who I was looking for.

“What do you want? Haven’t you worn our hospitality thin enough yet?” The scowling High Elf didn’t seem to have mellowed out any, but I pushed forward. “What?! You? In the guild? Don’t you think you’re a little bit… Slow?” I kept my temper from flaring up and told him I was somewhat adept at magic. “Hmm, well, if you’re sure. Fine, you’re now an associate in the Mages’ Guild. Not that you will ever get any higher in the ranks.” he looked at me for a moment and then said, “Well?”

“I know about recommendations, Falcar. I’d like to receive yours.”

He smiled faintly. “Very well. Not long ago I was studying an interesting Ring of Burden. However, the last associate seems to have misplaced it. If I didn’t know better, I would say he had purposely thrown it down the well in the back! I want you to retrieve it for me. Then I shall see about your recommendation.” He finished and smirked at me. I wondered what had changed his mood so suddenly. “Before you go, you’ll need a key to the well. I believe Deetsan has a copy. Right, off you go now.”

It was late, and I decided that the recommendation could wait until daylight, so I went up to the bed I had been occupying for the duration of my healing process, and pulled out my journal. Now I lie here and wonder what I should tell the other guild members. I wonder if I should tell them what really gave me these wounds. I doubt they would believe me. Perhaps I should gain their trust a little bit more. Now, I must sleep. The day has been long and my wounds still have some healing to do.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget to collect the Nirnroot in the Well!

April 30, 2006 8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about them unicorns? Do they come in the story anywhere?

April 30, 2006 6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, I hope the Ring won't be too much to carry, but it would be an interesting situation!

-Noozooroo

April 30, 2006 7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just realised that I have to wait until Friday to read more of this. Damn.

May 01, 2006 5:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, man, you're right, Person......this sucks!

-Noozooroo

May 01, 2006 4:44 PM  
Blogger Mindstroller said...

Sorry guys. Shouldnt be like this for too long. Just a few more weeks. I think you can handle it :P. I just need a little breathing room during the week, ya know how it is. This paper that is due friday is a little tight at the moment. But when its over i should free up some time.

Come on guys! You can make it! :)

May 01, 2006 6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It'll be hard but... I think I can make it! :) lol

May 01, 2006 6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, now, Friday is what, four days away?



I'M MELTING!!!!!!!!!! OH WHAT A WRITER, WHAT A CRUEL WRITER!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaa...........

-Noozooroo

May 02, 2006 7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, that was from the Wizard of Oz.

-Nozooroo

May 03, 2006 2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Duh.

Hehe. :)

May 03, 2006 10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just one more day...

May 04, 2006 6:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Update? Please?

May 05, 2006 7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's Friday! Where's our story? Stupid Will, a single day only happens once a week for him. We see how it is.

-Noozooroo

May 05, 2006 5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now It's Sunday! C'mon Mindstroller! Were dyin' here!

May 06, 2006 2:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops. Saturday.

Ugh... I'm horrible at typing.

May 06, 2006 2:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home