Saturday, July 08, 2006

26: Speeches and Salutes

A cold northern wind blew down upon us as we set off from the Priory stables. The sky rapidly grew dark, and soon the clouds opened up on us. We were drenched almost immediately, and there would be no point to going back or seeking shelter. We could deal with the cold, but if any assassins found their way to us when we weren’t expecting it we would be in a heap of trouble. The rain continued for a great time, and we were just entering the mountains before it stopped. I had decided to take a bit of a detour from the main road, forcing us to push our horses up several steep hills but also cutting our trip time in half. The rain kept all manner of creatures away from us during the ride, but I did see a pack of wolves following us for a while. We outran them and were soon riding up the final slope to Cloud Ruler Temple.

It was quite an impressive sight. By the time we reached the fortress, the skies had cleared completely and the sun was just about to set. The walls were made of curved stone and it was at the very peak of the mountain. I understood then how it could be defended so easily. The fortress was both elegant and functional, its walls thick and sturdy, and the people guarding it were the best trained in the entire empire. Martin would be very safe here indeed.

We dismounted and approached the huge gates. They opened slowly and a man in the armor characteristic of the Blades stepped out to greet Jauffre.

“Welcome, Grandmaster.” He glanced at Martin. “Is that him, sir?”

“Yes, Cyrus. This is Martin Septim, Son of Uriel Septim, and heir to the Throne of Tamriel.” Cyrus went up to Martin and knelt, welcoming him to Cloud Ruler Temple.

“Thank you, Cyrus. But I am not Emperor yet!” Martin was obviously not used to being someone of great importance. Cyrus stood and ushered us into the Fortress. We went up a few flights of stairs, and there stood a large group of Blades in two lines along the path, each bowing as Martin passed. Martin was unsure of what to do, and he looked almost scared. We came to the head of the group and Jauffre turned around. He began a short speech to the group of Blades.

“Blades, dark times are ahead of us. Emperor Uriel Septim and his sons were murdered under our watch, and the barrier between Oblivion and Nirn has been damaged. The Amulet of Kings has fallen into the hands of the Enemy, and the Dragon Fires have been darkened.” The Blades listened with intensity, showing no signs of fear or hopelessness. Jauffre continued, “But all hope is not lost… The man who stands before you today is Martin Septim, Son of Uriel Septim, and true heir to the throne.” He turned to Martin, raised his sword, and cried “HAIL DRAGONBORN! HAIL MARTIN SEPTIM! HAIL!” The Blades all did likewise, and I felt I should join in.

Martin was a little bit shocked, to put it lightly. He nearly jumped when Jauffre started saluting him, and when the salute died out, he stepped forward hesitantly and gave a very short speech.

“Jauffre, Will, everyone, I thank you all. I know you all expect me to be Emperor. I’ll do my best, but all this is going to take some getting used to. I will try my hardest to be worthy of your loyalty in the coming days. That’s it, thank you.” He stepped back and started to drop his gaze, but then thought better of it and held his chin up.

“Well, the Blades are at your command, my liege. Everyone back to your posts now.”

Martin turned to me, “Well, that wasn’t much of a speech was it?”

“They didn’t seem to mind” I replied truthfully.

We spoke for a while about his future as Emperor, as well as the Amulet of Kings and Daedric Magic. He agreed that the rules had changed. There was no possible way those Oblivion gates could have been sustained before. He believed (as well as Jauffre did) that the Amulet of Kings was a sort of “key” to maintaining the barrier between Nirn and Oblivion, and that the Dragonfires were the physical representation of that barrier.

I thought about this as I went to rest in the barracks. It was getting late, and I had a lot to think about. Plans must be laid for the future, and we need the Amulet of Kings back if we are going to stop Mehrunes Dagon.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, cool chapter, Mindstroller! I love how you described Martin's nervousness and also, if it's not to much trouble, could we maybe see a picture of Will? I think it would be cool to be able to see him up close, just to see what he looks like. If not then that's okay, Victoria dosen't post full-face screenies of her character, so it's fine if you don't want to. Keep up the good work, Mindstroller! :)


- Mystic Ranger

July 08, 2006 7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Plot filler, but tasty Plot filler. :)

July 09, 2006 12:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'm back everyone! I just went on a seven day trip to Texas to visit my relatives. I left last Saturday, and arrived back yesterday, so I've just been catching up. Good writing Mindstroller, keep it up!

Oh, yeah, and...The man who stands before you today is Martin Septim, Son of Uriel Spetim, and true heir to the throne.”... shouldn't it be the son of uriel Septim, not Spetim?

And more good news that is really only good to myself and my friends! I may be getting a new 360 tomorrow to replace the old one. These past few days I've been thinking about it, and the entire time I am filled with memories of Oblivion. So...w00t!

-Noozooroo

July 09, 2006 6:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me clarify that, maybe today, tomorrow, or the neart future...

-Noozooroo

July 09, 2006 6:58 AM  
Blogger Mindstroller said...

well sure it should be Septim, but shouldn't it be the NEAR future and not the neart?

:p

July 09, 2006 8:25 AM  
Blogger Mindstroller said...

oh yeah, and im having trouble taking screenshots, i only got the one of Martin after a while of hard work... Print Screen doesnt work even after ive enabled the dAllowScreenshot sooooo....

Ideas?

July 09, 2006 8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read somewhere that if print screen dosen't work then you should check your video options and make sure that anti-alaising is turned off. I don't know if that will work or not, hope it will, good luck, Mindstroller! :)


- Mystic Ranger

P.S. I mean the options in game, not on the menu or anything. Just wanted to clear that up. :)

July 09, 2006 10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet, I got my 360 yesterday! Unfortunately my mom is low on money so we couldn't buy Oblivion, and the only money I have is 51 cents, a card for EB Games for $20.25, and a Barnes and Noble gift card for 20 bucks. So I rented Far Cry Instincts: Predator. It's pretty fun...

But nothing compared to Oblivion. I can't stop thinking about Oblivion. All that time waiting for it, and I only had it for, like, two months...

Seriously, I cannot get things that have to do with Oblivion out of my head. It's becoming EXTREMELY annoying.

-Noozooroo

July 10, 2006 9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

try OA

Oblivaholics anonymous

July 10, 2006 11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teehee...OA...

But I like my addiction. It makes Oblivion that much more fun for when I play it.

-Noozooroo

July 10, 2006 7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Thats good that you got an Xbox 360. I'm saving up to get my Computer upgraded or for a 360 myself. Taking forever...

July 10, 2006 8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I caught up to your great story this night/morning

GREAT WORK. i specially liked the attack on weynon priory. keep up the good work

-PoopSm1th

July 11, 2006 1:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home