Tuesday, August 15, 2006

31: Mistery

I awoke. I lay with my eyes closed as I waited for sounds to drift to my ears. The sounds that made their way to me had a shimmering quality to them, like the sweet sounds of small bells. Curiously, I heard no sounds of life; just the strange shimmering whisper. I slowly opened my eyes and saw nothing. It wasn’t like looking at pure darkness, quite the opposite. I was staring at a shifting, grayish mass that floated over me. I drew in breath sharply, surprised to see such an oddity. However, as the air moved into my lungs, the shapeless blob above me shifted with it. I blew the air out of my lungs, watching the mass shift away from me with the air current. I reached up with my hand and poked it very carefully. It resisted for a millisecond, but gave way, and my finger plunged into the blob.

It was not unlike mist, but to call it mist would be a serious understatement. I pushed my other finger into it, this time submerging my entire hand in the mass. I pulled my hand back and examined it for any damage, but I was pleased to find that it was fine. I stood up into the mist, and as I began making my way around like a blind man, I found that the entire guild hall was filled with the mist. I began to assume that some experiment must have gone wrong, but the eerie silence made me worry for my fellow mages. I felt my way out into the cool outside, though I was not entirely sure if it was morning or night.

The mist hung heavy in the mountain air. I was not as familiar with the outside as I was with the interior of the mages guild, but I soon placed my hands on the smooth carved surface of some statue or another. I sat down on the ground with my back to the statue and just watched. The dim gray mist was impenetrable, and I found that my magic was useless. I started running through possible scenarios in my mind, but whatever caused this was beyond my comprehension. I sighed and leaned my head back, my eyes looking up the front of the statue.

At the top of the statue I saw something. I could just barely see it, a dark spot in the gray. I was about to call out to it when it started crawling down the statue at an impressive pace. It crawled more like a spider than a man, though it was obviously humanoid in shape. I froze, stuck to the spot at the base of the statue, unable to move or scream, only to stare at the thing. It moved so incredibly fast that it made it to the base of the statue in seconds, suddenly inches from my face and staring at me with huge, blood-red eyes.

“Curious, isn’t it?” The thing pushed away from the statue and landed a few feet away, standing upright in dark blue robes. It dropped its hood and the Dark One smiled at me. I exhaled sharply, letting out all my terror. I stood up and shook his hand.

“You scared the kwama out of me! Although, it is nice to see a friendly face in this horrible mist. I thought for a second that I was the only one left.” I returned his smile, although I wasn’t as happy as it might have revealed.

“Horrible? I think it’s fantastic! This mist is one of my greatest creations!”

“You made this stuff?”

“Oh yes, just recently in fact. And with it I have conquered one of the few questions that have really puzzled me.”

“What question?” I was a little bit surprised that he had been puzzled by anything, he must be one of the most powerful mages in existence.

“You!”

“Me?” My confusion grew as thick as the mist in the air.

“It’s complicated. Come, have a seat.” He gestured to the bench in front of the statue that I had failed to see before. I felt the mist slowly begin to clear up, and magic began to spark back to life in my veins. “Now, where to begin…”

“When I entered the Cheydinhal guild hall that first day you saw me, I cast upon myself the most powerful spell of concealment I could. Obviously I didn’t want to die lying in the middle of the floor, so with the spell I concealed my true identity and put up an image of someone else. However, when you saw me, you did not see that other person. You saw ME. I thought that perhaps I had made some mistake in casting the spell, but no. The error was not mine. Everyone besides you saw the other person lying on the ground. But you… I thought perhaps you had some powerful spell of revealing, but when I talked to you I could tell you were simply a lowly conjurer. So was there some family trait about you that could see through my deception? Or did my spell simply not work on you? After a few experiments, I realized that the latter was true. My particular form of magic simply did not work on you!”

“But you healed me during the Kvatch invasion! I know you did!” I was beginning to realize what he was talking about, but confusion was still thick.

“Yes, I did. But that was with conventional magic. You see, I use a form of magic that is very different from anything you know. I will not go into details, but suffice it to say I am the only one capable of this type of magic. Anyway, where was I? Oh yes. After the Battle of Kvatch, I set out to explore how you could be completely immune to my magic. I traveled far and wide, experimenting on everything from Sloads to the Akaviri Tsaesci. Nothing was even resistant to my magic. So I traced your bloodline back. I found distant relatives of yours, and yet everyone in your family is neither immune nor resistant. So, you are truly a mystery.”

I thought for a moment. “But what about this mist? What is its relevance?”

He leaned in close. “It is a spell of mine that draws away both sound and magic. It proves that not only are you easily terrified, you are also not totally immune to my magic. It proves that you are not as interesting as I had thought.”

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

...Strange, but interesting.

-Noozooroo

August 15, 2006 9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Spiders...

Can you hear them...?

Can you hear the Sssspiiiideeerrsssss?

I can hear them...


Spiders in my head... they won't leave...

Get them out... GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT!






Spidersssssssss...

August 15, 2006 11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know some lizards who will eat up all those nasty spiders for you, Person. But they do charge a fee...



YOUR SOUL.

If you're interested, call 1-909-714-2169.

-Noozooroo

August 16, 2006 9:17 AM  
Blogger Mindstroller said...

hmm, i almost want to call that number just to see who answers...

the only thing that is stopping me is the fact that i dont want lizards to steal my soul... or rather, whats left of it

August 16, 2006 5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My soul died a veeeerrrry long time ago.

What else can I pay them with?

I need to get rid of the Spiders...

They screech... They hiss... They don't shut up...

Oh God... What are they doing? No... NO.... STOP... no,NONONONONO!

AAAAAAARGH!

Goddamn! Hurry! What the hell do I Pay the lizards with?

August 16, 2006 8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice writing so far!

August 17, 2006 8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The lizards will take the person who is closest to you, and deposit them in the world of GTA: San Andres, where thhey will be caught in endless enigmas of gangsterism.

A small price for your sanity.

Oh, and Mindstroller, just calling that number won't send the lizards. Feel free to call.

-Noozooroo

August 19, 2006 8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who can face or can't face, who can face the unbelievable mechanical ape? Well listen, woah-oh-oh-oh (MECHANICAL APE!) WOAH-OH-OH (MECHANICAL APE!)

There can be no mistake about the greatest ape of all!

-Noozooroo

August 19, 2006 8:14 AM  
Blogger Xikorolkel said...

The comment chatter in between chapters on this site gets stranger and stranger by the week. Seriously, Mindstroller, if these conversations aren't working to spur you on toward more frequent postings, I don't know what would.

August 19, 2006 10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you like green eggs and ham?

Yes I do, Sam I am!

August 20, 2006 12:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two words, Xikorolkel:

ur. mom.

-Noozooroo

August 20, 2006 9:24 AM  
Blogger Mindstroller said...

actually these strange comments are great! its almost better than me posting!

im working on it ok!

August 20, 2006 2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Work on it faster! I want those fingers to be stubs, ya hear me?

STUBS!

August 20, 2006 11:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stubby the nubby nub-nub, stubbety-stub nub nub stubby,

STUB!

-Noozooroo

August 21, 2006 3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SNUBBUTS!

August 23, 2006 2:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(blows raspberry)

How long till next...







Pie? Nah, Update is coming when now?

August 27, 2006 6:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm...My blog sense are tingling...You haven't updated in fifteen days!

-Noozooroo

August 30, 2006 3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wtf? Person's comment wasn't there when I posted, but it says he posted 3 days before me! Damn interweb!

-Noozooroo

August 31, 2006 4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya must got baaaad internets there, sonny-jim...

Reeeeal baaaad internets...

August 31, 2006 9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Call the number, Person! You may not know it, but the spiders have already begun to eat your SPLEEN!

-Noozooroo

September 09, 2006 9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey y'all! Just got back from my holiday. Taking a look at the site, I have just one thing to say:

What the Hell you been doin' Mindstroller?

September 11, 2006 2:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home