Friday, May 12, 2006

13: Black Secret

I awoke at around 7:30 at night, and I started looking around for Falcar. He was not in the guild hall, so I assumed that he was out on the town. I was feeling very refreshed, and went down to the makeshift practice room that the guild hall had. I went through some more basic summoning, and refreshed my Alteration with some shield spells. By the time I had depleted my energies it was 9:00, and I went to look for Falcar again. He was still nowhere to be found, so I decided to ask Deetsan if she had seen him.

“Oh, yes. I’m afraid you must have slept through it all. You must be a deep sleeper.”

“What happened, Deetsan?”

“Oh well… It’s my fault really, I just couldn’t believe Falcar had given the same task that he had given to Vidkun! I didn’t want to lose any more associates. I confronted him after you got back, and well, one thing led to another, and he stormed out.” Deetsan said this casually, as if it were normal for a guild head to simply walk out of his guild hall.

“Deetsan, I have some bad news. Vidkun isn’t missing. He’s dead.”

“Well, I can’t say I’m entirely surprised. He was gone for several weeks after all,” she sighed “what a horrible way to die…”

“And what about my recommendation?” I realized that if Falcar was gone and wouldn’t give me a recommendation, I might never be able to get into the Academy.

“I was getting to that. Listen, I want you to go into Falcar’s quarters and see if you can find anything… unusual. While you’re in there, look for a recommendation. I don’t know if he filled one out for you or not, but it’s worth a shot.”

“Alright, but what if there is no recommendation?”

“Don’t go jumping to conclusions. We’ll cross that swamp when we come to it.”

With that, I set off for the basement. Falcar’s room was locked, but my skills with a lock pick would be enough to pop it open. I glanced around to see if anyone was watching, and, satisfied that no one was there, I picked the lock.

Inside Falcar’s room was everything a Guild Head would need to do his business. I closed the door and searched through his desk and drawers, but found nothing more than an ink well and some shoes. The only place I had left to search was his personal chest, and that was locked. Once again, I was able to pick the lock, and started rummaging through the papers and clothes in the chest. I looked at all the papers, but none of them were a recommendation. As I got to the bottom of the chest, my hand closed around something smooth and very warm. I pulled it out and examined it. It was a black soul gem. Black soul gems are used in the field of necromancy, and I immediately dropped it onto the ground. It seemed to ooze evil power, and I nudged it away from me with my shoe. I then continued to search through the chest, this time more carefully. I found another black soul gem, and wrapped them both up in some blank pieces of paper.

I returned to Deetsan bearing the grim news. “Oh my, It’s worse than I feared. And no recommendation? Hmm, give me the gems, I must include them in my report to the council.”
“And my recommendation?”

“I’ll explain the situation to the council. Under the circumstances, I think they will accept it as a recommendation. After all, I am now the ranking guild member here.”

I returned to my bed, and read a few books from the rather sparse library. I mulled over what Falcar had been doing. Black soul gems! I thought those were only used for very powerful necromancy! I wondered what Falcar had been doing during his frequent absences from the guild hall. I closed my books, and practiced a few shield spells before falling asleep.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eeeevil! Falcar is Eeeevil!

I can't believe that when Deetsan knew something had happened to Vidkun and he was away for weeks she didn't go check the well. What an Idiot.

May 13, 2006 2:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No offense to Argonians, but she is stupid. And she tells you about the whole Flacar leaving incedint(sp) so casually, it's like it's normal. I hate her!!!!!!!


- Mystic Ranger

May 13, 2006 10:26 AM  
Blogger Mindstroller said...

Yes well, i kind of like her simple mind. She sounds kind of stoned to me.

May 13, 2006 12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm, mabye you're right. But personally, my least faveorite NPC is the owner of the Copius Cionpurse, he feminds me of Fargoth for some reason. Mabye it's his voice, it's got this distinctive whine to it that bugs me to no end!!!!!

- Mystic Ranger

May 13, 2006 12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*Stabs Fargoth*

-Noozooroo

May 15, 2006 8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home