Sunday, February 04, 2007

42: The Single Step

I was dripping with rage as I returned to the Arena district the following morning. I felt I was prepared for what Darkasha would throw at me, especially during daylight. After all, I had spent the night reading up on vampires and how to ward them off. I had been disappointed that there wasn’t a singular thing that could hold them at bay, such as a holy symbol or an amulet. There was some useful knowledge contained in the dusty old book I had purchased in The First Edition, and it made for an interesting read, but nothing I read would stop a vampire in its tracks.

I had been so interested in the book, in fact, that I do not know where I spent the night, or how much it had cost. I was fairly certain I had rented a room somewhere, but the rest was a blur. I remember most of what I read, however. Vampires were weak both to fire and sunlight, though how weak they were depended on when they had last had a “meal” of blood. They were generally more skilled in the arts of a thief, sticking to shadows and the night, though they could also be exceptionally fast and strong. After what I had seen in the Arena, I was sure Darkasha was the latter.

I had the thought of a fireball spell at the front of my mind as I approached the pillar where I was to meet Darkasha. I expected to see him cowering in the shadows in a heavy robe somewhere nearby, but instead he was standing in the middle of the plaza, the hood of his dark robe hung loosely around his shoulders. His fur was pale, and the sun reflected off his face quite brightly. I pondered whether the fur shaded his skin from the sun, or if he was simply very resistant to the effects of the sun. I shuddered to think who had been bitten last night.

“Oh good!” Darkasha said with a smirk, “I am pleased to see you, for so many who come to me are… frightened off before their first lesson.”

“I can’t imagine why.” I said with a grimace. “Perhaps it’s the teeth, or maybe your… draining demeanor.”

“Now, now Syras. No need to be so icy.” The Khajiit’s grin grew even wider, and became slightly evil looking. “Now come, we have quite a way to walk.” He turned and began walking towards the coliseum. “I just need to get a few things first.” He said over his shoulder.

“I will wait out here in the sunlight.” I said, “I just love sunlight so much.”

The sun had crawled over the wall, slowly climbing towards the top of its arc. I basked momentarily in the glory of the light. It was warm and comforting, and after a week in cold mountainous regions it was fantastic. I rolled the sleeves of my robe up a ways to let some of the light hit my skin. I realized then how pale it was. I had been in that prison for far too long and I sighed as my skin soaked up the light.

The Khajiit returned carrying a satchel quite similar to mine. “Food,” He said and shook the bag lightly; “we will be out for a while.”

“I thought surely you would have eaten last night.” I said, somewhat viciously.

“True,” he said, then flashed his fangs at me, “I… fed this morning. It was a fabulous feast.” He turned and walked towards the city gates. I followed reluctantly, disturbed by his choice of the word “fed.”

We walked out of the city, though my style of walking was significantly more labored than his flowing waltz. We began walking down the road to Bravil and Leyawiin, according to the road sign we passed. Eventually I had to stop and rest my legs, for they were cramping up and slowing down.

“Wait!” I called to him, for he was several paces ahead of me. “I must rest.” I sat down on a rock and sent waves of healing magic through my legs. The wound that was cauterized back in Cheydinhal still burned and shot pain up my leg, and my other leg was not used to this much action.

“Very well,” Darkasha said, “We shall rest for a short while, but we must keep moving. It is the only way to regain use of your leg, and we must make better time than this.”

“Where are we going?” I asked as I stretched my legs slowly. “Bravil?”

“No, Leyawiin. And we must keep going from there.” He casually picked some dirt from his fur and flicked it away.

“Leyawiin?” I asked incredulously, “That’s easily a two day walk!” My legs ached even thinking about the journey.

“And we must get there before tomorrow morning.”

“What? There’s no way we can make that kind of time. Maybe if we hired some horses, but otherwise it’s impossible!”

“Well, I would suggest you start walking anyway, or else.” He said menacingly.

“Or else what?”

“Or else I will feast upon every drop of your blood.”

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, i am trying to break into the elder scrolls blogging scene. Haha.

I have a new story developing here:
http://auguiandcut.blogspot.com/

If you like the elder scrolls series i hope you will enjoy this. As i said i am just starting but i plan on updating thrice a week.

Thanks

February 05, 2007 5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home