Monday, May 22, 2006

18: Rain

The stables were small and smelled like feces, which was not surprising given it’s occupants. Most of the horses in there were poorly groomed and lazy. They were all a dirty brown, except for the one the old man had told me I could use. It was the only well groomed horse in there and trotted around the stable quite nicely. I went up to it and it gladly followed my tugs at its reins. I pulled myself up into its saddle, and tried to accustom myself to it. I had never been very good at riding horses, but it was not too hard for me to make it move. The saddle was quite comfortable, and I was soon off on my way.

The road brought me past a wayshrine to one of the Nine, but I decided to keep moving, it was getting later after all. The road wound down towards the Imperial City, and then made a sharp turn towards Skingrad. I admired the construction of the Imperial City as I rode by, the sun just starting to dip down towards the horizon. I estimated that it was about four o’clock, and pushed my new horse onwards.

As I neared Skingrad, the skies began to darken. I cursed my luck and pushed my friend onwards, racing to reach Skingrad before the storm broke. The walls came into sight, and I thought that I might make it in time. I came so very close, and the sky opened up onto me as I rounded the last bend in the road. Luckily, the bridge that led to the castle was above me, and kept me fairly dry for a moment. I refused to slow my horse down though, and got him into a small stable area outside the gates. I jumped off and tied him to a pole and ran to the gates, pulling them open and resting for a moment in the dry area beneath the Gatehouse.

The rain pounded down for quite some time, but lessened enough for me to make it to a lodge. I couldn’t make out the name when I was outside because the sky released its drenching payload before I could make it inside. I squelched as I made my way to the bar; a stiff drink was what I needed after that downpour. The Orc behind the bar welcomed me to the Two Sisters’ Lodge, but my temper was as sour as the weather. If there’s one thing I hate, it’s getting soaked. I peeled off my shoes and left them by the fireplace, hoping they would dry soon. I returned to the bar when the Orc barmaid had prepared my drink, and downed it quickly. I asked her for a room, and after an exchange of gold for a key, I made my way up the stairs and opened up my room. It was pleasant, and at ten gold it was a great deal. I shut the door and pulled off my soaked clothing. The rain outside showed no sign of stopping, so I laid myself down to sleep for a while; it was getting late anyway.

It was still raining when I woke up. I cursed my luck and sighed. If the rain didn’t let up soon, I wouldn’t be able to make it to Kvatch in time to meet the Dark One! I pulled on a dry robe and made my way down to the bar. My shoes were almost dry, so I put them on and got some hot food from the barmaid. I finished, and heard the rain stop! I paid for my food quickly and ran upstairs to gather my things. When I returned, I gave my key to the barmaid and stepped outside. The rain seemed to have stopped for good, and the early morning sun was peeking out through the clouds! I thanked the gods and jogged out to where my horse was.

The stable had kept him mostly dry, although the ground was practically a river at his hooves. I mounted him anyway, and set off towards Kvatch.

It was not too long of a ride, and I reached the path leading up towards Kvatch at about 11 o’clock. But something was wrong. The sky was cloudy, and smoke rose from Kvatch’s walls! I pressed my horse on, and met a hysterical man running along the road. He was screaming about how Kvatch was gone! Something about how Daedra had attacked in the middle of the night and destroyed everything! I left him to rant and rode as fast as I could along the road. Soon I came upon a camp of disheveled people, many of them weeping, and I assumed they were the survivors. I slowed only a little as I passed through the camp, and then continued up the winding, rocky path towards the fortress like city of Kvatch. It was perched at the top of a mountain, and the climb was not easy for my horse on the wet ground, but in time I reached the top to find horrors.

The ground was charred beyond belief, and spires the color of obsidian rose from the ground in places. I looked towards the gates, but all I saw was a huge, steaming portal that burned with unholy fire. I could not make out much behind it, but it looked grim. The portal was flanked on either side by obsidian spires with lava running down them, and I was immediately reminded of the portal I had been the creator of years before. But this portal, it was twenty feet high! I didn’t think anything that big could be sustained for any amount of time!

There was a small group of soldiers holding off several Daedra, and I rushed to their aid. There weren’t many of them lurking around, and they were dispatched quickly, but the soldiers seemed to have lost all morale, and they looked extremely tired. I approached the captain of the guard and see where I could put my spells to use…

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn you, Mindstroller!! Why, why do we have to wait until Friday?! No, seriously, I forgot why. What was it again?

-Noozooroo

Oh yeah, good chapter and all that. You'll have to excuse me, but I think every chapter is good, and saying it every time just gets...boring.

May 22, 2006 3:53 PM  
Blogger Mindstroller said...

haha, thanks. well, you could mix in some "OMG T|-|15 15 TEH SUCK!"

or not. id prefer not, mostly because im not a big fan of Leet. Yell at me all you want, just make it in english please

May 22, 2006 5:51 PM  
Blogger Mindstroller said...

Oh one more thing, im thinking of changing the posting schedule soon, any ideas for changes would be good, and ill sift through the millions of suggestions that you give me to find the best (aka most popular) one

May 22, 2006 5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was a good chapter, and it obviously is a set up to another brilliant one.

And my idea for posting schedules is Monday, Thursday, Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and start over again from the beginning.

Might be a bit taxing on your time but it could work.

May 22, 2006 6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

y4, 1'm 1337 11k3 7[-]47.

-N00200r00

May 23, 2006 4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm positively tingling with anticipation...

May 26, 2006 5:23 AM  
Blogger Mindstroller said...

Damn! posting trouble!

May 26, 2006 3:13 PM  
Blogger Xikorolkel said...

Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. That way it alternates with Frost and Arvil so that we can get at least one dose of Elder Scrolls goodness a day!

Also, I meant to say before that I really appreciate the length of these last few entries, much better than the short snippets of several earlier ones and yet not long-winded. Good work.

May 26, 2006 5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

EEEE! Hurry Mindstroller... I need my Will Syras fix...

May 27, 2006 4:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nooo! Mindstroller noooo! Are you going to update at all this week?

May 27, 2006 11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home